Longboards or skateboards are one of the sport tools we already know. Most people think they are the same. However, in fact, they are slightly different.
Skateboard is smaller, slower and narrower than longboards. About the speed, the longboards are faster because they have the wheel size and more precise materials. And in most occasions, longboard is distinguished from skateboard because longboard often used for downhill racing and cruising.
What Needs to Prepare
For your safety, you must have the right equipment for protection. The helmet is the most people would buy first. However, it is not just the helmet you need to prepare. Most riders will prepare:
- knee pads
- spine protectors
- wrist guards
- elbow pads
- padded shorts
For special occasion, such as downhill or sliding regulations, the riders will bring special gloves. It is called slide gloves. It is made specialized from synthetic fabrics and leather. In addition, sometimes it has pucks – large disc – attached to the palms. The use of pucks is to protect the riders’ hands during the slides. And pucks usually are made of delrin, corian or UHMW. They are kinds of synthetic polymers.
Basically, longboards has many components and details. In simpler ways, it consists of:
They are basically made from plywood composed of the maple, koa, bamboo, birch or oak wood. Speaking of the decks, you might find quite confusing because they have variety numbers of the sizes and shapes depends on the riders’ purposes, goals or needs. And each of them has particular disadvantages and advantages. Some of the decks’ terms you might want to know:
Pintails. To prevent your wheel from getting contact with the board. It is called wheelbite. It is commonly used with top mounted trucks.
Drop – through. With lowered platform, you will get greater stability at high speed.
Hybrid. It tends to be shorter than any other longboards that offers the rider to have more stable condition.
Cruiser. This is the most common shape which has larger and softer wheels. It is similar to kick-tail shape of the normal skateboards.
They are some metal – turning system that attached to the longboard wheel and the deck. They are made with goal for giving wider and bigger turning cycle or circle. They ‘read’ the riders’ motions or body to turn the board.
They are the components which are the easiest parts to change. They have top two best standards:
– Barrels. They have larger shape which gives more rebound and stability
– Cones. They have narrower shape which gives you less rebound and more turns.
The ricer pads affect the distance between the deck and the wheels. It is for preventing the wheelbite.
The bearings are used for reducing those unnecessary brushings. It is aimed to give flawless act.
It is located on the top of the board and made from gritty things. It gives traction so the riders’ shoes will stay stable on the board.
Most of the wheels are made from this material called urethane. The wheels’ performances are also affected by 5 things:
– Hub setting
– Lip shape
– Contact shape
The longboards itself have different types, such as:
- Centerset wheels. The hubs are set in the middle from each lip.
- Side – set wheels. The hubs are set in the inside of the edge of the wheels. Its purpose is for giving smoother transitions.
- Offset wheels. The hub is in the center and inside the edge of its wheel.
- Deck: Maple laminate with photo heat transfer graphic
- Trucks: 40 degree base - 180mm hangers, aluminium die casting trucks
- Wheels: Volador 70mm diameter - 51mm wide - 78A - SHR 70% rebound
- Abstract graphics. 7-ply super-flex bamboo and hardwood maple deck. 7" aluminum trucks; high-performance reverse kingpin configuration.
- 70 mm x 51 mm 80A PU wheels. Wheel wells prevent bite on extreme turns. Precision ABEC-7 bearings.
- Hollow 4 mm risers. 30-day manufacturer's warranty against defects and workmanship. Deck Length: 44".
- Made of high quality material: 9-Ply Super-Flex maple deck+ Full coverage griptape, durable 70MM PU wheels.
- ABEC-11 high speed chrome steel bearing for smoother quieter ride. 7 inch powder coated aluminum truck with max supporting weight 330 lbs.
- PU shock absorb ring: providing effective cushioning, adds more comfort to your skateboarding experience.
- HongHenry Distribution