Longboards or skateboards are one of the sport tools we already know. Most people think they are the same. However, in fact, they are slightly different.
Skateboard is smaller, slower and narrower than longboards. About the speed, the longboards are faster because they have the wheel size and more precise materials. And in most occasions, longboard is distinguished from skateboard because longboard often used for downhill racing and cruising.
Skip to: Top 5 Best Longboards
What Needs to Prepare
For your safety, you must have the right equipment for protection. The helmet is the most people would buy first. However, it is not just the helmet you need to prepare. Most riders will prepare:
- knee pads
- spine protectors
- wrist guards
- elbow pads
- padded shorts
For special occasion, such as downhill or sliding regulations, the riders will bring special gloves. It is called slide gloves. It is made specialized from synthetic fabrics and leather. In addition, sometimes it has pucks – large disc – attached to the palms. The use of pucks is to protect the riders’ hands during the slides. And pucks usually are made of delrin, corian or UHMW. They are kinds of synthetic polymers.
Basically, longboards has many components and details. In simpler ways, it consists of:
They are basically made from plywood composed of the maple, koa, bamboo, birch or oak wood. Speaking of the decks, you might find quite confusing because they have variety numbers of the sizes and shapes depends on the riders’ purposes, goals or needs. And each of them has particular disadvantages and advantages. Some of the decks’ terms you might want to know:
Pintails. To prevent your wheel from getting contact with the board. It is called wheelbite. It is commonly used with top mounted trucks.
Drop – through. With lowered platform, you will get greater stability at high speed.
Hybrid. It tends to be shorter than any other longboards that offers the rider to have more stable condition.
Cruiser. This is the most common shape which has larger and softer wheels. It is similar to kick-tail shape of the normal skateboards.
The longboards itself have different types, such as:
- Centerset wheels. The hubs are set in the middle from each lip.
- Side – set wheels. The hubs are set in the inside of the edge of the wheels. Its purpose is for giving smoother transitions.
- Offset wheels. The hub is in the center and inside the edge of its wheel.
Top 5 Best Longboards
Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2 The Quest Super Cruiser Longboard Skateboard
- Abstract graphics. 7-ply super-flex bamboo and hardwood maple deck. 7" aluminum trucks; high-performance reverse kingpin configuration.
- 70 mm x 51 mm 80A PU wheels. Wheel wells prevent bite on extreme turns. Precision ABEC-7 bearings.
- Hollow 4 mm risers. 30-day manufacturer's warranty against defects and workmanship. Deck Length: 44".
- Model: QT-NSC44C. Made in China.
Bestseller No. 3Bestseller No. 3Bestseller No. 3Bestseller No. 3 Bestseller No. 4Bestseller No. 4Bestseller No. 4Bestseller No. 4 MAGIC UNION 41 Inch Maple Drop Down Longboard Complete Skateboard
- Made of high quality material: 9-Ply Super-Flex maple deck+ Full coverage griptape, durable 70MM PU wheels.
- ABEC-11 high speed chrome steel bearing for smoother quieter ride. 7 inch powder coated aluminum truck with max supporting weight 330 lbs.
- PU shock absorb ring: providing effective cushioning, adds more comfort to your skateboarding experience.
- Built for downhill, speed and freestyle riding,Wide turning radius and low center of gravity,suitable for all age sports enthusiast groups.
- Pattern: Heat Transfer(which was printed onto the board,not a sticker). 5 patterns available.
Bestseller No. 5Bestseller No. 5Bestseller No. 5Bestseller No. 5